The #1 Best Vegan Garlic Alfredo Sauce
Learn how to make this top-notch Garlic Alfredo Sauce, its highly rated by readers! So easy, dairy-free, oil-free, just 6 ingredients (plus salt & pepper) and so incredibly creamy and full of flavor!
Consider this the only vegan Alfredo sauce you will ever need.
It’s the perfect dairy-free alternative to classic Alfredo sauce! Plus, just 6 ingredients and 30 minutes required. Let’s do this!
The base of this Alfredo is cashews, soaked in hot water for 4 hours so they soften quickly. Then it’s a matter of flavor: nutritional yeast for cheesiness, garlic for kick and depth of flavor, salt for saltiness and a bit of coconut milk for texture. Arrowroot powder adds thickness and helps the sauce get a bit “stringy” like real cheese!
I hope you all enjoy this Alfredo sauce!
Fast & Easy
Yes! It’s ALL THAT!!!
This would make the perfect sauce for zucchini noodle pasta or your favorite pasta (I prefer gluten!). Top with Slow Roasted Tomatoes for even more flavor! This sauce could also pair well with baked lasagnas, my Eggplant Parmesan or even used as a white sauce on pizzas.
The absolute BEST Vegan Garlic Alfredo Sauce that tastes like the guilty version. Lots of onion is the secret to this easy, low-ingredient and rich, dairy-free, oil-free Alfredo sauce. You will be shocked that there isn’t an ounce of dairy in it!
Where do I start? You’re going to absolutely love and want to devour this Vegan Garlic Alfredo Pasta. I’m talking a cheesy, creamy, absolutely indulgent-in-taste kind of pasta dinner. The kind of dinner that totally hits the spot, making you want to curl up on the couch at the end of a long week – without that heavy feeling, of course. All my pasta cravings are hereby conquered!
First things first – I’m not really a big pasta fanatic. LET me be clear. When a pasta dish is done well – I am all for that. If you’re a vegetarian or vegan though, you know that lots of pasta dishes just are not done correctly. Kind of an unplanned, ‘oh yeah whoops’ scenario, that can drive you to never want to have pasta again.
Let’s talk key ingredients. That roasted garlic is A MUST. I mean, it deepens the flavor of the entire sauce and really brings it to another level. You’re going to have to wait for your cashews to soak anyway, so you might as well make it. I guarantee it’ll change all of your dishes.
Speaking of which… .cashews. OMG. Adding soaked cashews to this sauce makes it so creamy and gives it that traditional white color. No, the sauce won’t taste like cashews, thanks to the addition of another ingredient: lemon or lime juice. This acid helps to neutralize the cashew flavor, so all you taste is the cheesiness.
The #1 Best Vegan Garlic Alfredo Sauce
The nutritional yeast in the Alfredo sauce gives it that special cheesy flavor that will have you taste-testing the heck out of this sauce as you go!
Almond milk and pasta water! Don’t use regular water! Pasta water already has some saltiness and some starch and is a perfectly seasoned form of water in this sauce. The almond milk, of course, adds more creaminess.
Basically what I’m saying is, friends, every ingredient is key here. Including the cooked-down onions (adding a nice flavor + umami). What you get is a beautiful vegan Alfredo sauce, made in your blender, that you can drench all over your pasta before digging in. The kind of sauce that you’ll probably want to put on everything, but you’ll definitely slather all over your pasta!
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN ALFREDO SAUCE?
Easy, you just need 6 simple ingredients:
low sodium vegetable broth
First, you will cook your onions low and slow until really tender. Add the garlic and cook until soft. Add the onion and garlic to a blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend until completely smooth.
Serve over pasta and enjoy this decadent, but healthy, vegan Alfredo sauce!
No need to search any further. This recipe is dairy-free and oil-free. Most vegan versions contain vegan butter or oil… not healthy. This one is made from cashews, which make it exceptionally creamy. I wanted an oil-free, whole food version.
I love to eat salads with my pasta. Here is an amazing recipie for my favorite Pomegranate and Kale Salad Recipe!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thetastesoflifeholisticblog
- 1 1/2 cup cashews raw, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt Himalayan
- 3 tbsp
Parmesan cheese- vegan
plus more for serving
- 2 cup coconut milk full fat
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
- 10 oz pasta gluten-free
- 1/2 cup parsley for garnish
- 16 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion medium
- 3 cloves garlic minced, for mushrooms
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Soak cashews overnight.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a well-salted pot of water. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is boiling or while you're waiting for the water to boil, in a pan over medium high heat, heat the avocado oil. Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic, stir and let cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. Set it aside.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and add to a high-speed blender. Blend nutritional yeast, garlic, sea salt, vegan Parmesan cheese and half the unsweetened dairy-free milk (1 cup until smooth. Adjust the flavor if needed - you can add a little bit more of salt, pepper or nutritional yeast. Also if the sauce is to thick you can add more liquid.
- Transfer to a small pot and cook over medium-low to medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. The sauce should thicken and bubble. Add more dairy-free milk as needed to thin (I typically add up to 1/2 - 1 cup more than the original recipe calls for, adjusting if altering batch size). Then it's ready to serve!