Sauteed Parsnip Soup
Somehow people shy away from cooking with parsnips. Maybe because they don’t know what to do with them? Perhaps that is you…. you’ve walked by them a thousand times in the grocery store…. surrounded by all those other odd-looking root vegetables. Intrigued and curious? Perhaps. Yet you find yourself with the same-old, same-old… carrots, potatoes, maybe the odd sweet potato given the right time of year.
I wish parsnips were more popular and more appreciated…. they are not at all that difficult to cook with AND they are delicious!. They are one of my favorite fall/winter root vegetables. I can tell you, from personal experience, that parsnips are a staple for many fine-dining restaurants because they’re very creamy and luxurious….
…but you do not need to have culinary-chef credentials to add parsnips to your cooking repertoire. As humble a vegetable as they might appear, parsnips are quite versatile. My favorite ways of preparing them are making a puree, mashing them, using them in a soup, roasting them or making fries out of them. I really enjoy cooking with them and the sweetness they provide.
In this paleo soup, parsnips are the star of the show. Adding salty bacon will balance out the sweetness of the parsnips, and the full-fat coconut milk adds richness at the end. Parsnips are perfect for swapping out starchy grains and potatoes when you are trying to lose weight.
This Rich and Creamy Parsnip Soup
is very easy to make and is vegan (if you skip the bacon), dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, whole30 and AIP.
It is one of my all-time, favorite soup recipes! You can serve it as a light lunch, dinner or a healthy side dish. Start by sautéing the garlic, onion, celery, and parsnips in coconut oil until they develop a nice, rich flavor. Cook for about 30 minutes, then puree the soup and voila! Yep, THAT EASY!
Alexa, add parsnips to my shopping list!
Give parsnips a chance, and you might end up with a new favorite root vegetable like I did!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thetastesoflife[Add recipe Maker Code here]
- 1 coconut oil
celery ribslarge and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 parsnips large, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp basil dried
- 3 vegetable stock or chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk full fat
- Place a large pot on medium heat and add coconut oil. When the oil is hot, add onion and garlic. Sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add celery and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add parsnips, seasoning and broth.
- Allow the soup to come to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the vegetables are tender, remove from heat.
- Make the soup smooth or blend it in batches using a high-speed blender; or you can use an immersion blender. When the soup is blended, add it back to the pot and add coconut milk. Reheat the soup. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.