Caribbean Style Sweet Potato Stew
Are you looking for a new favorite recipe?! For my friends, this is it. It’s super flavourful, creamy and the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. This Caribbean style sweet potato stew was one of the biggest hits in my restaurant in Sedona. Everybody loved it, and my friends are still asking me to make it for potlucks, so I decided to share the recipe for all to enjoy.
With this stew, you’ll have a veggie delight that is rich and flavourful, and definitely makes me wish I was in the Caribbean!
I incorporated many of my favorite veggies in the recipe such as sweet potato, cabbage, and cilantro, and of course I couldn’t skip the wonderful flavor of coconut, because it makes everything better – which I can’t live without!
I also made this recipe on the lighter side so you can enjoy it during the summer. Most Caribbean food is meat-based (and sometimes quite unusual meats, at that) which surprisingly can make them quite heavy.
My inspiration for this recipe was 14 day Caribbean island-hopping holiday I took many years ago. I found this old wonderful man who was selling a stew-like this from a food truck. It was his family recipe and I made sure to ask for the ingredients after having a bit of it. The flavors in this stew were incredible.
I loved that sweet/ spicy/ coconutty combination! A lot of the flavor comes from using fresh thyme, and cilantro. (The more cilantro for me the merrier!)
There are plenty of other great flavors in this Caribbean sweet potato stew. Cabbage, chunks of sweet potato, bell pepper, coconut milk, green onions, garlic, veggie stock, and red pepper flakes.
This recipe makes quite a bit, but who doesn’t love leftovers! You can always freeze it, and this stew freezes very well. You can also cook it for a family gathering or potluck– leave it bubbling away and serve it up whenever everybody’s ready. (The stew is very low-maintenance!).
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thetastesoflifeholisticblog
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3/4 medium green cabbage (remove any tough stems, cut into strip)
- 1 bunch of green onions, sliced
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 red bell pepper (deseeded and sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 rapunzel bullion
- 4 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp thyme (fresh or dry)
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Brown rice to serve
- Cut sweet potatoes in 1-inch chunks. Transfer it to a large pot. Add coconut milk and cook it for 15 minutes - until potatoes are slightly soft.
- Slice pepper, onion, and cabbage. Add them to the pot. Add garlic and all the other spices, then cook everything over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the vegetables are almost soft.
- Add chopped cilantro and sliced green onion and serve over rice.