Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Soup
When it comes to cooking, my approach is to embrace seasonality, because you will get the most amount of nutrients from your food. I also like to incorporate a lot of colorful veggies because of the variety of nutrients you get. Soups and stews are perfect for mixing them together.
Purple sweet potatoes are one of those veggies that have gotten more love over the years. Surprisingly this variety has only been around since 2006. If you’re not familiar with them, they have the same flavor and texture as traditional sweet potatoes, but purple potatoes are actually said to be more on the sweeter side.
When boiled and mashed the purple sweet potatoes will lose color, which I hate, but you can always add a little acid such as lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to bring a bit of that color back up. Also, when roasted, they maintain that gorgeous hue and create the perfect shade of purple!
For the base of this soup, I used the Organic Pacific Vegetable Broth I LOVE this stuff. Pacific products are made with real, wholesome ingredients such as the finest farm-grown vegetables and organic free-range chicken – with no artificial ingredients or preservatives. Their innovative aseptic carton package preserves freshness and homemade taste, using less material and less energy than conventional packaging. I feel good about feeding it to my family and the high quality makes all the difference in the taste
What’s fab about this soup and any soup, for the most part, is that it’s so easy!! You need just a handful of ingredients, a handful of time, and boom, you have an effortless gorgeous soup that will make you look like an iron chef!!
What’s fab about this soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, incorporates minimal ingredients, packs flavor, has a hint of sweetness, pairs well with just about any main dish, perf for any season, can easily be made in bulk, will brighten up any table, and is just a gorgeous soup!!
If you love effortless concepts that pack flavor and vibrancy, you’re going to love this vegan Purple Sweet Potato Soup!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Great for any season!
Sweet and Savory
- 3 large purple sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 80 oz vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 whole sweet onion, diced
- 2 parsnips diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tbsp apple cider
- 2 tbsp dill
- pinch of cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread out the peeled, chopped potatoes and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- In a medium skillet, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, parsnips, and thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, the basil, dill, onion powder. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion and is fragrant and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Transfer it to the medium pot and add sweet potatoes and veggie broth.
- Cook until vegetables are tender. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with fresh thyme, and an optional drizzle of olive oil. Serve hot/warm. Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Hungry for More? Subscribe to our newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And be sure to stay in touch on Facebook and for all of the latest updates.
Download your Free Pantry Essentials Guide Here
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Tastes of Life so credit is given where credit is due. Thank you!