Simple Cabbage and Potato Stew
Polish cabbage, sauerkraut, potato, and bacon stew is a comforting and hearty meal with a delicious garlic flavor. Perfect for cold winter days. I just love hearty stew and soups in the winter.
This recipe reminds me of my family gathering by the fire and enjoying yummy food and great company.
It is easy to make, budget-friendly, and tastes out of this world. The ingredients are straightforward, and this will feed even the hungriest of people!
I like to make up a big batch to have it the following day, too, or take it to work in a food flask! The longer the stew sits in the fridge, the better it tastes, and it freezes well.
You can make up a huge pot of the stew, even with or without the sausage, if you have any vegetarians dining with you, and everyone can help themselves!
I made this dish with chicken sausage, but feel free to use some andouille sausage or real polish sausage kielbasa (if you are lucky to find it) that will give you an amazing flavor. It is worth a while, though, to find the real polish sausage. Really, you can use just about any kind of smoked sausage here (or even bratwurst). I’m partial to kielbasa here with its smoky, garlicky flavors (that usually include caraway, too). You’re welcome to use traditional pork sausage here too, or chicken or turkey like I did in this recipe.
I love cabbage, and I grew up making all sorts of dishes with it. Cabbage stew and soups are very flavorful, especially when you add some smoked kielbasa sausage to the picture. Some hearty potatoes and lots of savory and garlicky seasonings — this feel-good, hearty, flavorful, delicious stew is comfort food to the max.
I hope you love this one as much as I do, friends!
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 medium-size potatoes cubbed
- 4 chicken sausages sliced
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, sliced
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup veggie bullion
- 3 cups chicken bullion
- 2 tbsp butter , ghee or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- turkey bacon or regular bacon for serving
- 1 1/2 cup bubbies sauerkraut
- Wash potatoes and cut them cut them in large Dice appless and slice the cabbage.
- Brown the onion with garlic in a medium-size pot. Add potatoes, apples, cabbage, spices, and bullion. Stir-fry them for 5 minutes. Add stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, add spices and cook for 40 minutes.
- In a large frying pot with ghee or olive oil, stir-fry the chopped chicken sausage, then add it to the pot.
- Add sauerkraut, cover tightly with a lid, and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with bacon and enjoy!